UPDATED INFO ADDED TO BOTTOM OF THE GUIDE FOR FAILED/STOPPING VPN AFTER STARTING
Hi welcome to my guide on how to install and setup “openvpn plugin” on enigma2 this guide i hope i can do it to make it as simple as possible to follow for everyone to follow, THIS GUIDE IS BASED ON OPENATV image on the MUTANT HD51 4K, but is the same process on a Zgemma. I will add other guides for other images asap please keep an eye out in the vpn section for all vpn guides.
So let’s get started with this guide ( PLEASE NOTE ) this guide may sound or even look HARD please read through it a few times i have added as many pics as possible to give a visual guide also on what stuff should look like and what point you should be up to.
- If you do not have a IPVANISH ACCOUNT you can purchase one via PM Myself or John on Group.
Applications I Used In This Guide
Programs and this guide is based on using a MicroSoft OS ( windows PC )
- Winrar ( Windows compressed archive extractor )
- Flashfxp ( Windows ftp program ) Filezilla is similar to transfer files
- Putty ( Windows ssh program )
- Notepad++ ( Linux compatible text editor )
Now let’s start the guides
- Let’s get our files we need
- Open your web browser and goto IPVANISH click on My Account as pictured below.
Now Enter your login details ( Username & Password ) then click login
- Now here is where you enter your username and password you got when you signed up for the service.
- Now in the above picture once you login you will be taken to the Account Tab look just to the right and click on Server List, when the list loads as pictured above click on OpenVPN under All OS and once clicked on it should download a zip file called configs.zip also bottom of the above picture.
- Now once the configs.zip has downloaded click on it to open it and extract it to a folder as pictured below.
- Now in the above picture as you can see it’s very simple to do, take note of the directory as you can see i have blacked out mine a little but left it to show the folder name, take note so you know where it will be.
- Now to keep this simple right click on your desktop and create a new folders as you can see in the above picture there are loads of files and we are going to narrow it down a little and make it as simple to follow, So WE NEED ca.ipvanish.com.crt file on windows you might not see the extension .crt don’t worry this is normal.
Files we need
- Choose a .ovpn file they are named where they are listed i scrolled and chose a london .ovpn just for the purpose of this guide
- COPY both files into the folder you created on your desktop, Now rename your chosen .ovpn to Client.conf as pictured below Then right click on it and open with ( notepad++ ) Now the below picture will show you what is default with a few details blanked out.
- As the above picture shows i used a uk london .ovpn rename it to
- Now we need to add a few lines to the file as pictured below.
- Now have edited save the file ( or click the little blue floppy disk top left )
- Now we need to create a plain text file with your
IPVANISHlogin details using
- As you can see i have put
passwordjust to show you how your text file should look, replace
usernamewith your ipvanish username and replace password with your ipvanish password then click save and save it as
login.txtthe .txt extension should be default and all you should have to do is name it
- Now we need to find our device IP ADDRESS
- With your remote for you enigma2 device Select: Menu > Setup > System > Network > Device Setup > Adapter settings As you can see bottom middle under Current Settings My ip address is 192.168.1.105 So this is our url for flashfxp ( ftp ) and putty ssh from windows your might or will be different just remember it we will be using it.
- Now we have saved and completed the files and setup we now need to ftp to our device.
- Start our ftp program for this guide Flashfxp
- Above the right window click The 2 little computers NOT the 2 computers with a red X in the bottom corner Click Quick Connect
- As you can now see in the above picture all we need is URL, username, password, These are the username and password to your device.
FTP Default Username : root
FTP Default Password : Leave Blank
- Now Click Connect, a load of files and folders should show in the right window, GREAT STUFF!! Now just remember the right window is your enigma2 device the left window is your computers.
- Now in the right window double click
ETCfolder as pictured below.
- Now look throught the right window and see if you have by default a folder called
openvpndon’t panic if you don’t just right click in the right window and select
create folderand name it
okas pictured below.
- Now double click
openvpnfolder to go into it.
- Now your in openvpn folder in your right window with nothing in it.
- Now in your left window you need to goto the folder on your desktop that you have saved the
- Now highlight all your files in your left window and right click on them and select
- Now All the selected files should now also be in your right window.
- EXCELLENT!! Now we need to go to our enigma2 device and install
- As Pictured Below select
Menuon your remote then select
- Now press menu
- Now select
- Now select
- Now you will be asked if you want to install select
- Now installed
- Now it’s installed we just need to do a few other things
SECURITYon your login details, Leave your device on the openvpn setup as pictured.
- Now we need to ssh to our enigma2 device this is where we use our last program we installed
PuTTyso start the program from your windows menu bottom left on your computer, and select
- As you start it you will be asked to input a as pictued below the IP ADDRESS mine as you saw earlier and now in the picture.
- Once you put in your enigma2 devices ip address click
- Now you should see ssh security select yes as pictured below.
- Now after selecting yes you should see a command like window asking you for a login default is
rootit shouldn’t ask for a password but if it does try
rootalso for the password.
- Now hit enter and entering
- Now we need to cd to our openvpn folder we created and uploaded our
ca.ipvanish.com.crtso in the PuTTY window like pictured type:
cd /etc/openvopnand hit enter.
- Now as pictured above we are going to secure our
login.txtfile so type:
chmod 600 login.txtNow that is done.
- As you can see in the above picture we have our command to get the real public ip the start of mine i have blacked out but you can see the last 2.
- Now to get your enigma2 devices real public ip address is type:
wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echoand hit enter you will be shown your real public ip address.
- Now to start our Openvpn on our enigma2 device as we left it on the openvpn setup after installing openvpn.
- Grab your remote and press the green button to start the openvpn plugin NOTICE the red box Current Status: Stopped as pictured below.
- Now when you hit the red button it will turn green with Running inside the green box.
- Now lets test our enigma2 device for the real public IP ADDRESS again as we did a little earlier in the guide.
- Now we go back to our computer and look in the PuTTY window like pictured type:
wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echoand hit enter
- !! EXCELLENT !! now we have completed this guide and you should now be running IPVANISH in Openvpn on your enigma2 device, i hope this guide helped you out.
- ALSO to stop Openvpn press the green button on your remote again it might still say it’s running but press the exit button on the remote and then select Openvpn setup again to go back in and it should say it has stopped.
TO HELP YOU GUYS OUT A LITTLE MORE IF WHEN YOU RUN/START THE VPN AND IT STOPS ON ITS OWN PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LOG LINE IN YOUR CONFIG FILE SO ANY ISSUES CAN BE HELPED AND HELP MADE EASIER, NOW IF YOUR HAVING ISSUES PLEASE GET AND OPEN THE LOG FILE OPENVPN CREATED AFTER YOU TRIED TO RUN IT.
IF YOU SEE THESE LINES PICTURED BELOW THE ONLY FIX IF TO GET THE LATEST IMAGE YOU ARE USING IF YOU ARE ON THE LATEST IMAGE THEN U+YOU WILL NEED TO CONTACT THE DEVS OF THE IMAGE EITHER THROUGH FORUMS/BLOGS AND ASK THEY BUILD THEIR NEXT IMAGE WITH THE TUN/TAP APPLICATION AS THEIR SETUP IS MISSING IT.